Sunday, October 6, 2013

Rolling into the bowling routine

I joined a bowling league in Fergus Falls. I've always enjoyed the sport. It was something I did as an after-school activity in middle school, and I was part of a junior league for a couple years during high school. It's nice to get back in the routine again.

Now, I am by no means a fantastic bowler. My all-time high game was a 200 (actually, a dutch 200 where I alternated strikes and spares every other frame), but that was really some kind of fluke. Rolling anything over 150 is probably a fluke, too.

My average in high school was in the 125-130 range. I throw a 12-pound ball, but I don't generate a lot of speed, and therefore, don't get a lot of pin action. In theory, I should be more focused on accuracy to pick up spares since the strikes don't fall as often. That doesn't always happen though. I've struggled lately with consistency in how I throw the ball.

So far, not so good
Three weeks into the season, and my average sits at a 108. Not exactly where I'd like to be. Of course, I've had a few games in the 90s. Yes, that would be under 100 pins. What's weird is I've gotten a few more strikes than I've expected, but then there are times when I can't seem to pick up a spare.

I also seem to screw up the frames around the few marks I do get. Knocking down anything less than five pins on the first ball after a spare isn't good for making the mark count. Plus, I've thrown some gutters and only managed a couple pins after a strike. Those things don't help the pin count.

My high game so far is 145, which ended week No. 2 where I improved each game. I have slow starts, apparently, because I haven't cracked 100 in my first games yet.

A nice routine for having fun
Even though I may be hard on myself sometimes, because I really just want to improve and be more consistent, I still enjoy being part of the league. It's a nice routine to have, and it's a good chance to meet some new people. I bowl on a women's league with four other teams, five women to a team. It's a nice mix of ages, too.

Well, here's hoping I can figure out how to at the very least break 100 each game from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment