Monday, July 31, 2017

The busy, fun, wide world of sports

It's the last day of July. In the sports world, it's an interesting time of transition. The past couple weeks are some of the quietest around in the overall sports realm.

The NHL is pretty quiet after the draft and free agency opens, not much out of the NBA either. MLB is slugging around through the 162-game season after the All-Star Break. It's really the only mainstream sport in the spotlight. NFL teams just opened their training camps, signifying the unofficial/official starts to their seasons. Other than that, there's the WNBA, IndyCar, NASCAR, golf, tennis has a gap in between Slams after Wimbledon and before the U.S. Open.

But if there's an opposite of March Madness, these couple weeks in July are probably it.

If you want to throw high schools into the mix, there are probably various captain's practices being held for fall sports before (at least in Minnesota) official practices open up in two weeks. It's just another sign that summer is flying by and about over.

Summer is still busy, fun time for America's pastime
Of course, as I reference this as some sort of sports "down time," that's also not very true when it comes to baseball. It's grind time for that sport. Sure, there's the All-Star Break, but the Twins in particular have had a busy schedule leading up to that point. Something like 45 games in 45 days thanks to not many off days in June and a pile of doubleheaders after a soggy spring.

It's a busy, but fun, pastime for the summer. For my sports consumption, I try to take in what I can and get a variety. Still, there are sports everyone gravitates toward, even if they claim to follow everything. Me, I always say my three favorites are baseball, hockey and IndyCar racing. That's not necessarily in any particular order.

I also enjoy watching tennis. I'll even watch bowling once in a while when it's on during a bad-weather Saturday afternoon. I keep up with the NBA mostly on what I see through social media an news outlets. I'm not a die-hard when it comes to football by any means, but I like to keep up with the high school and college games locally. I'll tune in for some pro football; it's just not appointment viewing for me if I have other things going on.

Reasons behind the sports we love 
My sports coverage, particularly on the preps level, has grown over the years. Therefore, I've gotten the chance to watch and write about a variety of sports and athletes. Volleyball state tournaments are entertaining, I really enjoy covering swim meets and the only thing to complain about with a high school football game is the cold weather sometimes while I try to type in the press box.

So much of what we grow up with determines our interests and activities. I like IndyCar racing because my dad loves it. He also played tennis, got me started playing, and there you go. I understand swim meets and like that excitement since my brother took up the sport in high school.

If I have reasons and stories like that for my sports background, I know other people must have them, too. Maybe it's a family member or friend that got you hooked. It could be one game you went to that made you fall in love with a sport. Or maybe it's just that sports are so ingrained in our society that it's just natural to pay attention to them.

I'd love to hear other stories. Feel free to leave some thoughts in the comments.

7 comments:

  1. Nice blog post Heather.

    I agree that sports are influenced so much by what we were around growing up. My parents weren't huge sports fans but my cousin was like my hero and he played basketball. I used to think played for a varsity team in front of the crowd was the coolest thing. I always wondered how you could love IndyCar so much (sorry) but figured it was something you shared with someone you love as is the case. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment, Jared! I'm glad others realize how much the environment we grow up with influences our sports scene.

      No worries about IndyCar. ;-) I know it's not for everyone. I went a little more in depth on that topic in this post from a couple years ago: My love for IndyCar racing

      http://thoughtsfromthestands.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-love-for-indycar-racing.html

      Delete
  2. Many skaters are turning to higher quality, premium skateboard brands when shopping for pro skateboards and premium skateboard decks. This has introduced many skaters to newer skate brands which have started becoming increasingly popular. pro skateboards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. sports and outdoors reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. 스포츠사이트

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it! 스포츠중계,무료스포츠중계,해외스포츠중계

    ReplyDelete
  6. Field hockey season one of my star players began to falter midway though the season. She missed a few practices but was always very apologetic about it. UK Field Hockey

    ReplyDelete