Sunday, January 8, 2012

The best and worst 'Thoughts' of 2011 - Part one

We're into the new year already, so I thought before it gets too far along in 2012, I'd reflect back on the best and worst sports thoughts I wrote in 2011. It's fun to look back and see what went on during the last calendar year in the world of sports, or at least the ones I write about.

One thing that sticks out for me is the number of blog entries I wrote, which was not on the same pace I had been keeping in the past. I got busy this year with a new full-time job, and my blog ended up getting neglected at times. Among my New Year's resolutions for 2012, one of them is to do a better job of keeping my blog updated.

Just like last year, I left the moments in chronological order. Here you go:

The best

Good news on the Minnesota sports front
The Wild were on a roll last year in January, but that didn't carry through the rest of the season. Brent Burns made the All-Star team, in what turned out to be his last season with the Wild. University of St. Thomas football coach Glenn Caruso was named Coach of the Year for NCAA Division III. Twins pitcher and fan favorite Bert Blyleven finally got his call to the hall.

Shutting out the Canucks
The Wild had an easy time with Vancouver last year, especially for this particular game with a 4-0 home win. Rookie goalie Anton Khudobin was sharp all night long in the net. The game was physical and included some highlight-reel goals.

Plus, whenever the Wild can keep the Sedins from notching any points, you need to count that as a successful night.

It's been awhile, but at least I have a good reason
This was the first blog update after my job started. I had a montage of updates including how I went through high school hockey tournament withdrawal, recounting the Wild's slide in the loss column, my opinion on throwback jerseys, the St. Thomas men's basketball team winning a national championship and the start of both baseball and the IndyCar seasons.

Centennial Indy 500
My family and I attended the 100th running of the greatest spectacle in racing. It was a beautiful day and a great race. The finish was one for the books, with the lead car crashing on the final turn, giving the victory to Dan Wheldon. The win takes on a whole different meaning now, as Wheldon was killed in October in the IndyCar season finale.

Sheppard, Delmon out of Minnesota sports
This was a happy moment for me: Delmon Young and James Sheppard left their Minnesota sports teams. If you're a reader of my blog, it's no secret that I was not thrilled with Young's play in the outfield for the Twins, and Sheppard's performance for the Wild was just terrible. Shep went to the Sharks to showcase his "offensive" skills, and Young went to division-rival Tigers, where he did quite well.

A classic World Series
The 2011 World Series featuring the St. Louis Cardinals and the Texas Rangers was a great one that went seven games and had a couple of amazing comebacks. Extra innings, home runs and Joe Buck's "We'll see ya, tomorrow night" call are all major components of this series.

Check out The best and worst 'Thoughts' of 2011 - Part two for some of the tough, not to mention sad, sports moments of the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment