Friday, November 6, 2009

Pouliot versus Sheppard

As high as the Minnesota Wild were flying after their back-to-back victories out east and four-day layoff, they crashed hard. They came out flat and uninspiring in a 5-2 loss to an injury-riddled Vancouver Canucks team.

I saw the first few minutes of the game, and some of the third period, but that was enough. After I watched the young James Sheppard spin around in his own zone and blatantly turn the puck over which led to the first goal, I left for the gym.

From what I heard and read, not much good happened for the Wild. Niklas Backstrom was pulled after two periods and four goals. Martin Havlat is still looking to set up that highlight-reel goal. Kyle Brodziak was the only bright spot as he provided the team's only offense.

This team has the abysmal Toronto Maple Leafs and Carolina Hurricanes to thank for not occupying the NHL basement. The plus/minus numbers for the Wild players are pretty tough to take. No one is exactly lighting things up on the ice, so it may be unfair to single out players for their performances. But I'm going to anyway.

My birthday buddy
I'm here to defend Benoit Pouliot. I feel a bias connection with him because we share the same birthday. Yes, the actual day - Sept. 29, 1986. I just think it's a cool little tidbit, I guess.

Making the Wild roster out of training camp this year, Pouliot was given another chance to prove himself in the NHL. I would guess that he and everyone else knew that it was his absolute last chance. And to his credit he has shown some life and turned his game up a little notch.

He has one goal, two assits and is a minus-3 in 10 games this season. That's not exactly an eye-bugging performance, but again, no member of the Wild is standing out for lighting the lamp these days.

Picking on Sheppard
Now here's where I single a guy out: James Sheppard. He is a minus-6 with zero points in 14 games. But those are just the numbers. Watching him on the ice isn't exactly fun either.

Here's my beef: Why was Sheppard in the lineup the past few games and not Pouliot? Despite the whole team needing some work, these two seemed to have the most to prove and establish themselves on the ice. In my book, Pouliot was doing a better job than Sheppard at this task, yet Coach Todd Richards keeps dressing Shep while Pouliot watches the games from the press box.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here. Obviously there has to be healthy scratches when the roster allows, but why are you going to single out one player on a team that is consistently sub-par this season? You'd think that if you are going to scratch the same player for a few games, that his performance is not living up to what it should be. This instance includes most of the Wild bench right now.

Time to step up
We'll see what Richards decides to do with the roster and dishing out playing time the next few games. But maybe it would help Sheppard to watch a few games from upstaires too. Or the entire team, for that matter.

The Wild need to step it up a notch in many areas of the game right now. That's obvious. I hope they do, but I also hope they start putting Pouliot on the ice. He's finally starting to take advantage of his last chance. Let him show us what he's got.

Note: While I was putting this entry together, Star Tribune beat writer Michael Russo had some very well-written and interesting pieces that gave me some insight into both Sheppard and Pouliot, as well as another issue involving Brett Burns. Read the latest on these players who are currently in the spotlight. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment