Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hitting it big

Now that the Olympics are officially over, it's about time to shift the focus to March Madness, MLB spring training and NHL playoff pushes. Plus, the dead of winter is slowly slipping away and spring is on the horizon. What could be better?

Last weekend was a good sports weekend for me. Friday night I visited my old stomping grounds at Andover High School and watched the female Huskies beat Anoka 66-28. Although the game was somewhat of a mismatch (the lady Tornadoes were only victorious once this season), it was still a fun game to watch.

I followed that up on Saturday by going down to watch a section semifinal boys hockey game at Braemar arena between Bloomington Jefferson and Burnsville. This was a special game for me because I was there officially as a member of the Star Tribune staff, all set to write a short summary for the roundup.

Along with the great turnout of fans in the rink, I was treated to a great hockey game. Jefferson seemed to have the upper hand in domination and pressure throughout the game, but Burnsville commanded the lead on the scoreboard for most of the contest.

It took overtime to decide who would move on to play at the Target Center for the section final, and Jefferson came away with a 4-3 win.

I interviewed a coach and the winning goal scorer, then headed back to the newsroom for my shift. I surprised myself with how quickly I was able to put together a couple hundred words about the game and get it sent off to the copy desk.

The result was my very first byline in the Star Tribune. Needless to say, I am very proud of that roundup box in the bottom right-hand corner of the Preps sports section from the Feb. 28 Sunday paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment