Thursday, March 21, 2013

Austin basketball brings good memories

A hearty congratulations to the Austin Packers boys basketball team as they take a 30-0 season into the Class 3A championship game Saturday night against DeLaSalle. It'll be the No. 2 seed (Austin) vs. No. 1 in the tournament.

Austin had a stellar year last season as well, as it made it to the state tournament but lost in the quarterfinals to a tough St. Paul Johnson team. Maybe it's that experience that paid off this time. Or maybe another year playing together gave the Packers some more confidence and ease on the court. Maybe there's some luck involved, too, along with the talent on the floor.

The Packers haven't made their past few games easy on the fans watching. Those with high blood pressure might need medical attention by now. Austin needed overtime to beat Marshall in the state semifinals Thursday, winning 68-65. It was another down-to-the-wire game Wednesday during the quarters as they defeated Blake 59-56.

Things were also close in Section 1 play for the top-seeded Packers. It was an easy quarterfinal game against Kasson-Mantorville, but they were tested in the next game against Winona when they squeaked out the win by a bucket. They needed overtime in order to beat Red Wing in the section final, 52-43.

Packer Pride... and luck
So with all those close games, that's why I think there's some luck running on Austin's side this season. I'm not taking anything away from the skilled players Austin has. It's no easy accomplishment to have an undefeated season. But when you're that talented and that good of a team, you're bound to get some breaks and bounces in your favor to help you out when needed.

Despite the tight outcomes, the bottom line is Austin has found a way to come out on top at the end of the game. Whether it's by 30 points or 1 point.

A bittersweet reminder
On a selfish note, Austin's state tournament run is bittersweet for me. I would love to be there on press row blogging, Tweeting or writing about the games, or at least be a part of the game in some journalistic fashion. Unfortunately, things didn't work out that way.

I recently moved to Fergus Falls and began work as a reporter for the Daily Journal. As I kept up with the tourney games the past couple days, I realized how much I was rooting for Austin. Probably just as much as I would for my hometown Andover Huskies (who also made the state tournament as heavy underdogs). Maybe it was just the adrenaline of the state tournament, but I longed to be in Minneapolis and a part of the experience.

I thought about how the two years I spent living and working in Austin will hold a dear place in my heart. I met so many great people and amazing friends who I grew to love. I joined a church that I already miss. I learned a lot.

And I think watching the Austin Packers reminded me just how much I'll miss it all.

3 comments:

  1. We love and miss you, too, little one!!! xoxoxo kay and kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, dear friends! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that we have the technology available so you can stay connected and maintain those great friendships, Heather! Love and hugs from Mom :)

    ReplyDelete