Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A little of this and that. Baseball, golf, racing.

A longer, more in-depth blog just isn't coming to me lately. So, I figured I'd touch on a few things. I've got baseball, golf and racing. No hockey, but I'm sure players all over are doing just fine swinging the golf clubs.

2014 All-Star Game at Target Field
The Minnesota Twins unveiled their 2014 All-Star game logo this week. It has the design of the stadium's overhang above the top decks, along with the downtown Minneapolis skyline incorporated into it.

Twins homeboy Joe Mauer is a six-time All-Star. I sincerely hope he's chosen again next year, so he can enjoy the experience on his home turf. Of course, the pessimist in me worries he'll have an injury-plagued season or have an off year at the plate. That'd be about right.

Basically, I hope the Twins have a bigger representation than the standard one required player as part of the American League team.

Nothing to note at trade deadline
Tuesday night, the Twins returned to action at Target Field, in what ended up being a 7-2 loss to the hands of the streaking Kansas City Royals. One bright spot? Joe Mauer, who was out of the lineup for a week after the birth of his twin girls, swung at the first pitch he saw (yes, the first one) and came up with an RBI single. That's why he's an All-Star.

During the game, former Twins manager Tom Kelly joined Dick Bremer in the broadcast booth to offer his always-fun color commentary. I think I remember him saying that the Twins wouldn't have an eventful trade deadline. He was right.

The Twins traded backup catcher, who's been in Mauer's shadow, to the Los Angeles Dodgers for a player to be named later. While first baseman Justin Morneau's name was thrown about for the trading block, he remained safe for now. But there's still the waivers route, and he is a free agent at the end of the season.

3M Championship week
The 3M Championship golf tournament is this week in Blaine, Minn. Senior PGA players venture to the north metro area and play at a course the legendary Arnold Palmer designed. He also shows up to play some exhibition rounds, too.

Golf isn't a top sport for me. I usually catch a little of the major tournaments on TV, and I used to play a bit more as a kid. But the 3M Championship has a special place in my sports reporter heart. I covered it three years in a row as an intern while I developed some journalistic chops. I learned a few new things about golf, got a chance to do some writing and simply had a good experience covering an event.

It was also where I met some of the sports journalists I look up to, like Patrick Reusse, Jim Souhan and Brian Stensaas from the Minneapolis Star Tribune. A couple years later when I landed a part-time gig in the Strib's sports department, they were my colleagues, and I particularly got know Brian (aka @stensation) a little better. Now we're Facebook friends and keep up with each other via the good ol' Twitter machine.

IndyCar heads to Mid-Ohio this weekend
I might have had a pretty good blog post... if I would be on my way to Mid-Ohio for the IndyCar race this weekend (like my parents). My dad and I went to Mid-Ohio in 2010 for the first time, and I really enjoyed the track. It reminded me a lot of the Road America track in Wisconsin (where IndyCar desperately needs to make a triumphant return).

Driver Scott Dixon finally found his stride this year and is riding a three-race win streak into the beautiful road course in the middle of Ohio. It also happens to be a track where he's done well in the past. We'll have to see if he can keep it going for win No. 4, or if someone else will be able to take the checkereds first.

No comments:

Post a Comment