Monday, December 30, 2013

Goodbye to the Dome

Sunday marked the final game in the Metrodome. The Minnesota Vikings managed to pull out a 14-13 win in a season they'd, I'm sure, like to forget. But more important than the meaningless game pitting two non-playoff teams against each other was all the nostalgia surrounding the Dome.
Since I'm not much of a Vikings fan, I pretty much said my goodbyes to the Dome when the Twins had their final season there in 2009. I spent the most time going to Twins games in the stadium that shoehorned baseball inside, after all. My final time in the Dome was actually in 2011, to take in some high school football action in the form of the Prep Bowl.

Nothing but Twins memories

I think the two most exciting memories for a lot of people when it comes to the Dome were in 1987 and 1991 when the Twins took home World Series Championships. Those remain the two biggest bright spots in professional Minnesota sports history anyway.
Unfortunately, while I was walking the planet for both of those historic runs, I don't have the memories of them. I was too young. But I'm told my parents bundled me up in the stroller so we could all wait in line downtown for World Series apparel.
One of my fondest memories at the Dome was the pre-game ceremony for Kirby Puckett's retirement. I just remember that when he came out onto the field and was announced to the crowd, it was the longest I had ever stood to applaud anyone or anything in my young life. I was old enough to know that such an ovation meant something special.
Put me on the scoreboard
I celebrated a couple birthdays there, and my parents put my name in the scoreboard with happy birthday wishes. I attended the game in which Doug Mientkiewicz was traded to the Boston Red Sox that day, which happened to be the visiting team. I participated in the nice ovation fans gave the Gold-Glove first baseman who was part of the Twins American League Central Championship teams.
I attended games with family, friends and even walked on the field. I watched concession prices jump on my favorite snacks, like malt cups, and consumed many hot dogs and pizza slices. I sat in the outfield, second-deck seats, a few rows up behind the plate and down the third baseline where the fact that the Dome was built for football becomes very apparent. I also made my one and only visit to Twins Fest, and then developed a boycott of the event.
I even attended a Vikings game a few years back.
A 30-plus year run for a major stadium isn't bad, but now it's time for it to go. If nothing else, the roof collapse a few years ago was a pretty good sign that this facility is way past its prime.
We'll take the memories, but let's finally put the Dome to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment