Saturday, March 29, 2014

Start your engines for 2014

As I've been telling people for the past couple weeks, the bitterly-cold winter has messed with my head. I'm having trouble comprehending that April is next week. It still has to be January, right?

That's why the IndyCar season, which kicks off tomorrow in St. Petersburg, Fla., snuck up on me. I really wish I could go down there for the race; it's one of the tracks on my list. But I also heard today that the grandstands were being evacuated due to severe weather, so maybe just watching on TV is better this year.

With the start of the season, it's time to take a look at the driver field and see what's changed from last season.

Franchitti hits the pits
One of the biggest absences from the driver's seat will be series veteran and former champion, Dario Franchitti. He was badly injured in an October crash in Houston, ending his 2013 season and also his career. Doctors advised him against racing again, so he announced his retirement.

Franchitti's been a strong competitive presence in open-wheel racing for many years, racing in the CART and ChampCar Series before IndyCar came back together a few years ago. I remember the days watching him at Road America (one of his favorite tracks) with Paul Tracy for Team Kool Green.

Anyway, Franchitti is still sticking around the track, working in the paddock for Team Chip Ganassi Racing. He will also drive the pace car at the Indianapolis 500 this year. He's won the historic race three times, just missing the fourth victory, which would have put him in elite company.

Last year's Indy 500 winner, Tony Kanaan, is taking over in Franchitt's Target machine this season. Still weird to see him in the bullseye suit.

Where are the gals?
While looking at the 25-driver field, one thing is noticeably missing: Women. No full-time rides this season for drivers like Pippa Mann, Ana Beatriz or Simona de Silvestro. It was announced during the offseason that the Swiss Miss, de Silvestro, was going to try her skills in Formula One, inking a deal with a Swiss team owner.

She had a good few years in IndyCar, and showed signs of improvement last season. I always liked her as a driver, but I suppose if I'm being honest, it was because I viewed her as the anti-Danica Patrick.

Mann and Beatriz have been part-time drivers in the series, and usually make the field for the Indy 500. I can't recall what their status is for the season. Just one thing though: Please don't bring back Milka Duno.

Montoya's back
Juan Pablo Montoya is back in the IndyCar saddle this season, racing for Team Penske (though I'll still picture him in the Target car). He was a CART racer for a number of years before making the jump to the dark side in 2007, when he took a ride in NASCAR.

Among some other changes, Mike Conway is racing for Ed Carpenter's team, Ryan Briscoe is back full time and the field contains five rookies for 2014.

Scott Dixon will look to defend his IndyCar title this year.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention one other change on the business side of things. IZOD is no longer the series sponsor. It's now known as the Verizon IndyCar Series.

Still no RA
Taking a look at the schedule, one circuit is absent yet again: Road America. ChampCar last raced there in 2007. I won't dwell on this too much, except to say that it's a fan-favorite track and many drivers in the past have loved it as well. It's getting to the point now where a lot of the field's drivers haven't even raced there to enjoy it.

NASCAR's Nationwide Series has raced there the past few years, drawing some crowds, I'm sure. But whatever needs to be done to make it happen for an IndyCar return, I hope it happens.

The 18-race season starts this weekend, followed by the long-standing classic Long Beach street course in a couple weeks. The month of May will be particularly exciting this year, with a race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's road course, followed by the greatest spectacle in racing. I'm looking forward to attending the road course race with my dad.

Three dual-race weekends will take place in Houston, Detroit and Toronto. The season will once again wrap up in Fontana, Calif.

Now that I've taken a look at the season ahead, there's only one thing left to say: Drivers, start your engines.

No comments:

Post a Comment