Thursday, August 28, 2014

No need for tennis expertise. Just give it a go.

When I talk with people about my sports writing experiences or my interest, the question about my athletic background usually isn't far behind. It's the thought that, "oh, since you like to write about sports, you must have played a lot of them in high school, right?"

Wrong. Not that it isn't a logical leap to make, because it certainly is. I'm sure there are a lot of sports writers out there who were quite the jocks. I'm just not one of them.

My only claim to fame in this category is that I played tennis, two years on junior varsity and my senior year playing third doubles on the varsity squad. Tennis was always something I played with my dad growing up, and I took tennis lessons in my elementary school days. I had a great chance to be part of the team at a brand new high school my senior year.

Final Grand Slam of '14
The U.S. Open tennis tournament kicked off this week, and it's always fun to watch. I enjoy catching coverage of the Grand Slam events, like the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Watching the tournaments usually gives you the itch to get out on the court and play. At least that's how it works for me.

I love to go hit around on the court. Being competitive isn't what it's about for me; I'm looking for some exercise and to have a little fun. That's all. If only there were more people who wanted to play tennis with me.

I was lucky to find a group of casual players who met twice a week at the high school courts when I lived in Austin, Minn. I haven't found a similar group in Fergus Falls. Whenever I mention tennis, here's a common response I get: "I'd totally play with you, but I'm terrible."

Again, let me go back to I just want to get exercise and have fun. I'm not looking to hit around with the next Grand Slam champion. I really don't even want to keep score.

Anybody wanna play with me?
As summer winds down, which is always sad, I reflect on the fact that I've only been out on the tennis court once in 2014. My friend Marie was a good sport and hit with me one gorgeous summer evening. I always had my tennis bag in the car when I traveled home to see my parents this summer. But either I was too busy with other activities, or the weather was poor. That second option seemed to be quite the theme this summer, unfortunately.

I guess my point is, I enjoy playing tennis, and I'd like to do more of it. Having a couple summers go by without playing on a regular basis, or even just a few times here and there, was kind of a downer for me. What's great about tennis is you don't need to be an expert to participate. Don't have a 120-mph serve? Need to run around your backhand? No problem. Just try it.

Maybe you'll have a tennis-starved friend who will thank you. Like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment