Saturday, May 29, 2010

Target Field: The food

I wasn't sure what I was going to chow down on at the ballpark for my second visit. I considered going the traditional way of getting a hot dog of one variety or another. Or maybe I'd spot something that would make my mouth water as we made our lap around the concourse.

Instead, I went with the pizza that I had last time. You get two hunks of piping-hot, pan-style pizza for $6. Not a bad deal at an event where everything is overpriced.

A feast for the family
My dad, brother and I shared a canoe (yes, the paper container was in the shape of a canoe) of cheese curds from the State Fair food stand located in the outfield side of the stadium. The curds weren't nearly as greasy or salty as the ones you'll find at the Fair, but they were still pretty good.

Mom tried the Murray's steak sandwich, which looked good although messy. The bottom of the paper tray was filled with icky grease, and the roll was splitting apart at the top.

Dad, of course, had a classic hot dog, purchased for him by my brother Kyle. This was a big moment since Kyle had "owed him a hot dog" for quite awhile now.


With just one little complaint...
Our biggest complaint from the new park was that despite the huge concourse and multiple food vending areas, there were no high-top tables or ledges along the wall (like you'd find at the Xcel Energy Center, for example) that would greatly assist in someone trying to eat their overpriced food.

We had to walk awhile from the pizza stand back to our seats so we could enjoy our Italian goodness. For my first game, our seats were right near the pizza, so the thought about the tables didn't even cross my mind. Maybe a few tables could be an area of improvement for the Twins and Target Field to work some of the kinks out.


Stay away from the ice cream
As for the ice cream I tried, there's five bucks I'll never see again. I was debating between a Kiddie Cone ($4) or the classic ice cream helmet. I went with the helmet because, unlike at the Dome, there are toppings available.

I ordered vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. What I got was a soupy mess of hot fudge (big difference from sauce, making the ice disappear even faster) and sprinkles with a dollop of visible ice cream on top.

If I wasn't so concerned with getting back to my seat and the game, I should have asked for another one. And the ice cream isn't that creamy kind of soft-serve, it's more of a watery texture. I think I'll be passing on the ice cream from now on.

So there you have it, the low-down on what my family and I feasted on while at Target Field. It's almost as important as the game, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment