Saturday, June 30, 2012

My first Austin Greyhounds game

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but Friday night was the first time I attended a baseball game at Marcusen Park in Austin, for an amateur baseball game featuring the Austin Greyhounds. I rode my bike down to the stadium once last summer, but that was just for a looksie, not for a game.

Anyway, as I sat in the bleachers on a beautiful summer evening, I couldn't believe I hadn't been to a game before. Part of it, or at least the easy excuse, is that I work a lot and often into the evening. Weekends are usually busy or I just want to relax at home and do nothing after a long week.

Despite how often I do (or do not) get to the ballpark, I ended up choosing a good game. The Hounds won with a walk-off homer in the bottom of the 11th inning over Fairmont. It was Steve Serratore who hit the bomb over the right-center fence to give his team the 8-7 win. I was one of the few who stuck around until the very end (though I debated leaving early, I'll admit.)

To pull a line usually reserved for the Minnesota Twins, the Hounds accomplished the little things Friday night to bring some runs across early. An RBI-single and a couple of sacrifice flies put them up 3-1, and they added another 3-spot in the fifth inning for a 6-1 lead. They remained in control until the last three innings.

Fairmont slowly chipped away at the lead with a run in the seventh, two in the eighth and bringing three across in the top of the ninth to tie the game at 7 apiece. The Hounds had a couple chances to end it, and Fairmont had another look, too.

Heading to the bottom of the 11th, it looked like the game could go on for awhile. Both teams had their chances but couldn't get that big hit to bring the winning run in. That was until Serratore stepped to the plate and crushed the ball. He was 2-for-5 with 2 RBI. The win put the Hounds over .500 at an 11-10 record on the season.

After such a dramatic finish, not to mention good baseball game in nice conditions, I hope to get back to Marcusen for a game very soon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great article and attending the Hounds game. We pride ourselves as bringing entertaining baseball right in Austins own backyard - Marcusen Park. The Hounds are comprised of players with respectable baseball backgrounds (semi-pro and collegiate level) and some with promising futures in the game. Steve Serratore 18 yrs old case in point, making balls disappear into the late night sky. Hope to see you in the future. Highlight game - Friday July 13 US Military All-Stars travel to Austin, pregame ceremony 6:30 with game to start at 7:00. An inspirational event where we honor a local military heroes. Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, John. I was at the game Friday night for another Hounds win. You guys certainly play some entertaining baseball. Thanks for reading! - Heather

    ReplyDelete