Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The best and worst 'Thoughts' of 2012 - Part two

I didn't have as many RIP entries as last year, which is a good thing. Here are some of the not-so-great moments I wrote about from 2012, in chronological order. Among them, the Minnesota Twins didn't have a very good year and the NHL had a lockout.

Also, check out part one for some of the better moments.

The worst

Post-Bulletin loses a great journalist, mentor
Long-time Post-Bulletin journalist Greg Sellnow died unexpectedly last March while driving home from the state high school hockey tournament. It was a bit of a shock, to say the least.

On a selfish note, Greg had just started mentoring me before his death. He looked over my writing and gave me tips on how to make it better. I miss having that working relationship with him. He was such a nice guy to take the time and do that with me.

Twins are not doing well
The Twins did not have a very good year in 2011. And 2012 wasn't that much better. This was just one of those times that I wrote about the non-productive team, its absent clutch hitting and poor pitching performances.

Let's hope the Twins can at least improve slightly in 2013.

Andy Roddick announces his retirement
American men's tennis isn't what it used to be a couple decades ago. But Andy Roddick had given us something to cheer about for awhile. However, he retired after the U.S. Open in September, the final Grand Slam of the year.

It was tough to see him walk away at age 30, but success didn't exactly follow him around either. He played in the same era as Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer, two of the greats in the sport. Roddick was also known to choke in early rounds of slams from time to time.

I'm excited to see which players will be the new Roddicks.

Baseball ends, no hockey to turn to
With the end of baseball season, that usually means I shift my focus to the NHL and the Wild. Unfortunately, this year's lockout didn't make that possible. I guess I went through a bit of a hockey depression. Then I started following the Austin Bruins and that gave me my hockey fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment