Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The best and worst 'Thoughts' of 2012 - Part one

Time for my annual look back at my blog entries from the last calendar year. I like to reflect back on some of the sports highlights that I wrote about, as well as some of the items that were a little more negative.

I posted 34 entries in 2012, which accomplished my goal of writing more than I did in 2011. I still want to do a little better, but we'll see. Last year, I enjoyed blogging about the Austin Bruins hockey team, some of the woes of the Twins and an IndyCar track that I hadn't been to before.

I've put the posts in chronological order.

The best

Season two complete for Austin Bruins
The Bruins had a great second season last year. They fell just short of making it to the North American Hockey League national championship with a season-ending loss at home to the Bismarck Bobcats. The success of the Bruins really took off last season, with attendance doubling at Riverside Arena. Of course, it helps when the team does well and makes a solid run deep into the playoffs.

Tributes and tradition at Indy 500
The 96th running of the greatest spectacle in racing brought up some memories of the late Dan Wheldon, who won the race in 2011 before he was killed in the final race of that season in Las Vegas.

The tributes to Wheldon over the weekend got me thinking about some of the other great Indy 500 races that have taken place over the years. Paul Tracy got robbed in 2002, 10 years before that came the closest finish in Indy 500 history and 1982 had a lot of action at both the beginning and the end of the race.

Iowa Corn Indy 250
This was the first time I had been to Iowa for an IndyCar race. My dad and I decided it would be a fun one to try since I'm right on the way in Austin. There's nothing like going to a night race either. I really love road/street courses, but ovals offer a lot of racing action as well.

Even with a pushed-back start due to some heavy rain, it didn't dampen the spirits of dedicated race fans. We even got to see the season's eventual champion Ryan Hunter-Reay win his second race in a row.

My first Austin Greyhounds game
It took me a summer, but I finally managed to get to a Greyhounds game in the nice outdoor ballpark here in town. My first game was a good one though, as the Hounds won in dramatic fashion with a homer in the 11th inning.

Nothing really beats sitting outside to enjoy a baseball game. They're pretty entertaining, too. Target Field isn't the only place to enjoy a good ball game. Just head down to Marcusen Park.

Minnesota Wild Road Tour Comes to Austin
This was one of my story highlights from my time with the Austin Post-Bulletin. I got the chance to interview Charlie Coyle, Matt Kassian, Wild alum Antti Laaksonen and Wild television color analyst Mike Greenlay. It was a pretty exciting perk, that's for sure.

Don't forget to check out part two for some of the "worst" moments of the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment