Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The good of the Dome

Since I did some Dome-bashing last week, now would be a good time to pinpoint some of the good memories.

First of all, I enjoy the fact that the venue has a roof. This is absolutely necessary for the weather roller coaster that is Minnesota.

I am very disappointed that Target Field will never be able to add an overhead shelter. Every major league stadium or ballpark should be equipped with a retractable roof, if I had my way. But I'm not an idiot; I know it comes down to the all-mighty dollar.

OK, enough of that. I'm supposed to be positive in this entry. (Can you tell I can be a negative thinker?)

Time at the Dome
I've been to a good chunk of baseball games at the Dome over the years, even more so when I began seriously following the Twins during my middle-school years. I've seen wins, losses and a couple of playoff games. I've donned fanatic apparel, and unfortunately was never circled by Bert.

I also spent my sweet sixteen at the Dome with my entire family and friend Emily. And I headed back for my 20th as well. Both times I received a scoreboard birthday greeting from my parents.

But all things aside, one of the most memorable moments for me at the Metrodome was attending the May 25, 1997 pre-game ceremony for Kirby Puckett where his No. 34 jersey was retired. The biggest thing I remember is standing up as he entered the field, and then applauding for a really long time. I remember thinking that I had never clapped that long in my life (I was only 10, but still...).

I don't recall a lot of the specifics of the ceremony, except for a video tribute with the Mariah Carey song "Hero." I knew enough about the Twins at that time to realize what a great player and icon our state had in Puckett. I'll also always take with me the voice of Twins public address announcer, the late Bob Casey, when it was Kirby's time to go to bat. "Kirbeeeeeeeeeeee Puckett!"

Back-to-back-to-back
There was also another game that sticks with me. I believe it was during the magical division title run of '06. The Twins were at home to finish the regular season against the White Sox, and they were chasing Detroit for the division title. The Twins dropped two of three games, but won on the final day. And the Royals ended up sweeping the Tigers to help the Twins to the title.

I just remember being at the Twins game during one of the two losses, and cheering for Kansas City. In the later innings, more focus seemed to be on the scoreboard with the Royals/Tigers score than the game in the Dome. It was very exciting and exhilerating to be a part of those moments.

Of course, I also went to the AL Divisional playoff games between the Twins and Oakland A's. The swept series was a huge letdown after the exciting regular season finish for Minnesota. But being able to be a part of that historic run in some way was amazing.

World series memories
Although I am too young to remember, I'm sure the two world championships the Twins won in the Dome bring out some of the best memories for a lot of people. I wish I could recall what that was like.

I guess the iconic piece that stays with me (and I'm sure for most fans) from watching highlights of the 1991 series is Kirby's game-saving catch against the glass in center, and of course his home run to force a game seven. If Joe Buck's famous tag doesn't stay with you as a Twins fan, I don't know what will.

"And we'll see ya... tomorrow night!"

No comments:

Post a Comment