Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Heading down to the Dome

The Twins are in town tonight as they kick off a six-game divisional homestand. First up are the ever-at-the-bottom Kansas City Royals, followed by the fire-sale Cleveland Indians. I'm headed down to the Metrodome this evening to enjoy a game with my family (and on a day like this I wish we were in the new outdoor stadium).

This is the final season for the Twins in the Dome. After September (presumably) the team will be leaving behind a history that spans back to 1982, just before my time. The building bursts at the nylon-roof seams with memories, or as they have been dubbed, "Metrodome Moments."

Probably the greatest of these came in the form of two world championships in 1987 and 1991. The Twins are the only "Big 4" team from Minnesota to have accomplished this feat. While I was walking the planet for both of these memory-making years, I am sad to say I was too young to remember the glorious championship seasons.

Since I will only be going to the Dome for maybe a couple more Twins games, I got to thinking about some of the things I won't miss after the Dome chapter is closed.

Reasons I don't like the Dome:

No. 1 and forever the most important reason: It's not a baseball stadium. Let me repeat this so you comprehend its importance. It's NOT a BASEBALL stadium.

The Dome was built for football games; it's as simple as that. The powers that be cooked up a great money-saving two-for-one-deal in order to get their hometown teams into new facilities. The problem for the Twins was that the final product was a football stadium which allowed baseball to be shoehorned into the venue.

No. 1a: The baggie
This goes along with reason No. 1. In order for baseball to be played on the football field, rows of temporary seats are folded into a vertical position in right field. With them comes a large wall affectionately known as "the baggie."

Instead of fencing, a bullpen or spectator bleachers, we get the baggie. Sometimes it can be your friend, and sometimes it's a hindrance. Many potential homerun balls have been stopped short, hitting off the top of the bouncy baggie, and landing the runner at second base. On the defensive side, you can misjudge a ball so bad you'd think you were up against the Green Monster.

Plus, it's a huge advertising block. But who's paying attention to the name on the wall when they're trying to see if the ball clears the top of the bag?

No. 1b: The view
Have you ever tried to watch the action at home plate from your seat down the third base line? How was your neck in the morning? Since I usually sit in the Cheap Seats in the outfield, I don't really have much of a problem, but certain seats in the Dome truly are the worst seats in the house.

This is because the seats are all firmly planted facing the direction of where the football field would be. But in every other baseball park, seats are always facing in the direction of home plate, and this is how it should be.

No. 1c: Yard lines and turf
Instead of looking at freshly cut grass in cool patterns, the Dome has you gazing at AstroTurf with visible football yard lines. I'm aware that the grass item is impossible for the indoor stadium, but staring at those lines meant for football is not something I want to see. Give me the foul line please (and while we're at it, an actual foul pole).

No. 2: Beach balls
Now I know this probably isn't specific to the Dome. I'm sure these pesky little toys are present at ballparks across the country. But I'll tell you what: I am not a fan. Call me a Debbie Downer if you must; I think they have no business being tossed around in the seats during a major league baseball game.

Of course, it's not the inflatable plastic I'm upset with exactly - it's their owners, and the rest of the encouraging members of the crowd who help the ball along its path. I'm especially talking to the people who are prepared with dozens of back-ups in case their precious entertainment gets taken away, or my favorite, when it falls to a lower deck.

Some end up falling onto the field, delaying the game while a bat boy or security guard rushes to dispose of the nuisance. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the ushers for every beach ball they grab from the crowd.

No. 3: The Wave
Again, not specific to the Dome. My parents always say this went out 20 or 30 years ago. I don't really disagree; let's leave it at that.

I guess that's only a couple of highlighted areas, but you get the picture. Now that I've griped about what really "grinds my gears" regarding the Metrodome, maybe I can take a later entry to share some positive memories, and my thoughts on the new home for the Twins - Target Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment