Monday, August 31, 2009

You see something new every day

Last Wednesday I went to the Twins game with my friend Cassie. The game was the series finale against the Baltimore Orioles and the hometown boys were hoping for a sweep. I felt a bandwagoning-effect might be happening after the Twins seemed to turn things around a bit on a solid road trip, and then a chance for a sweep.

Not to mention that fact that they had a walk-off win Tuesday night, a feat seemingly so big that I couldn't recall the last time it occurred. So naturally, I figured Wednesday might be a let down. And the end result was.

I couldn't fault starter Nick Blackburn too much. He wasn't stellar, but I'd seen him pitch much worse the last time I was at the Dome. What hurt the team was its inability to string together some hits. The only run for the Twins came on a run-scoring double. Not that impressive offensively.

A tackle heard 'round the world
Since the game was pretty uneventful, especially for the home fans, the most exciting moment was during one of the later innings when a presumably intoxicated young man wandered out onto the field from the home run porch.

I didn't see him enter, but I heard the commotion and looked down from our Cheap Seats to see what was going on. As I saw the man in his jeans and polo shirt, it wasn't what I expected. Instead of running around the field trying to keep himself free from security, he seemed to gallop around and look back at the stands, where I'm sure his pals were cheering and laughing hysterically.

We all saw the security guards running toward the guy, from all directions of the field, but one in particular was the closest to him. Then, all of the sudden, the not-so-tiny guard put a huge bear-hug-like tackle on the guy. And even from the upper deck, we could tell it was a hard hit.

Any unwanted distractions on the field usually are not shown on television, so seeing something like this in person was quite interesting. It made for some good excitement during a game that wasn't all that exciting on the diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment